Move to content

Graduation and working life

Tavoitteemme on, että valmistumiseen mennessä opiskelija löytää oman alansa työpaikan. AMK-tutkinnon jälkeen opintoja on myös mahdollista jatkaa.

Applying for the degree certificate and graduation

The student can apply for the degree certificate when all the studies have been completed and assessments are found in his/her PSP. 

  1. The student must have all studies completed  
    • work placement,  
    • thesis,  
    • seminar work on the thesis,  
    • and the maturity exam,  
    • thesis report submitted within the thesis.  
    • If the application is submitted before all the studies are registered, the application will be returned. 
  1. The student must have checked his/her PSP in the Peppi system  
    • placement checked,  
    • extra courses removed,  
    • all credits and grading checked. 
  1. The student sends his/her PSP for approval in Peppi. The student informs by email his/her tutor teacher or study counsellor who will accept PSP (student’s tutor teacher or study councellor, who are specified in Peppi). Instructions for Peppi can be found in itslearning-> Digistart. 
  2. The student completes and sends the application for the degree certificate in Peppi’s eApplications. This is a two-step process.  
    • First, the student must complete the Graduand Feedback Questionnaire (the questionnaire is used to gather information on graduates’ employment and how their education has succeeded). 
    • After that, the student can continue the process and fill in the application for a degree certificate. A questionnaire and application for degree certificate must be filled in at once.  
    • It is not possible to leave the application unfinished and continue to do updates later. The student must make sure that she/he will have enough time to fill in both the questionnaire and the application at once.  
    • It is recommended to read the instructions. The instructions are found in itslearning -> Digistart > Peppi > E-applications > Gradu and feedback questionnaire and Application for Degree. 

The application for the degree certificate will be registered only when all studies are completed. The graduation date will be the Friday following the student’s final evaluated credits (except in the case of Friday holidays). 

The degree certificate will be provided within one month of the graduation date. The student can pick up the degree certificate from the Student Services or it can be delivered by mail. If the student chooses the delivery by mail, the certificate will be sent  

a) In Finland as a Cash on Delivery Letter (price according to Posti’s current tariff) or  

b) Outside Finland, a Registered Letter or an Express Letter based on the student’s choice (price according to courier service’s current tariff). 

In case you need a temporary certificate, you can ask for a certificate of study that shows your graduation. You can ask for this temporary certificate as part of your application for a degree certificate. The requirement for this temporary certificate is specified on the application for a degree certificate. 

Certificates are not written in July, which is also not included in the one-month delivery period. 

Additional information: 

Remember also these things

Diploma Supplement

All graduated students receive a Diploma Supplement, which describes the completed degree and the Finnish education system. The Diploma Supplement improves the international comparison of certificates. The Diploma Supplement also includes an English language Transcript of Records, which shows the completed courses and grades. 

Valvira license for graduating nurses

Graduating nurses have to apply for a license to practice the health care profession in Finland 

Trade unions

Trade unions are labour movement-based organisations and they aim to improve the employment terms and conditions of employees. Trade unions do collective bargaining with employers to reach collective labour agreements. 

Students can even join a trade union during their studies. For more information, please contact the union in question. 

  • Union of Professional Engineers in Finland
  • The Federation of Public and Private Sector Employees Jyty
  • Professionals of Business and Technology
  • The Union of Health and Social Care Professionals in Finland
  • Suomen restonomit – Sure ry (Professionals of hospitality management)
  • Suomen musiikinopettajien liitto ry (Professional music teachers)
  • Art and Culture Professionals’ Trade Union TAKU
  • Trade Union for Theatre and Media Finland, Teme
  • Trade Union for Public and Welfare Sectors JHL
  • Seurakuntain Viran- ja Toimenhaltijain Liitto SVTL ry (Professionals of parish work)
  • Kasvatuksen ja nuorisotyön asiantuntijat KNT ry (Professionals of youth work and education)
  • Suomen Sairaanhoitajaliitto ry (Professional nurses)
  • The Finnish Association of Public Health Nurses
  • Talentia Union of Professional Social Workers

Trade unions in Finland operate mainly under the three central organisations that are:

Akava Special Branches, The Central Organisation of Finnish Trade Unions SAK and The Finnish Confederation of Professionals STTK.

Career and recruitment service Centria Jobi

Centria Jobi is a meeting place for students and working life where employers can inform students about open positions, practical training places, thesis topics, project jobs and events. It serves graduates as well and is an excellent place to browse job vacancies.

Further studies

Master’s studies in Universities of Applied Sciences (UAS)

Through Master’s studies in a University of Applied Sciences, you can deepen your professional knowledge and skills after gaining experience in working life. You will learn to find and process research information on your field of study and apply it in practice at work. With a Master’s degree, you will be able to work, for example, in development and expert duties in working life.

A Master’s degree taken in a University of Applied Sciences gives you equal eligibility for public posts as a Master’s degree earned from a university. 

To be eligible to apply for Master’s studies in UAS,

A Master’s degree in UAS includes:

The scope of Master’s studies is 60 or 90 ECTS, and completing the studies takes 1.5-3 years alongside work. Studying takes place as blended learning, which in practice means classroom meetings, online studies, and independent study. 

An essential part of studying is the thesis that is a development task with working life connections. You can decide the topic to support the development needs of your work.

For more information, please click here.

Master’s degree in universities

After completing a Bachelor’s degree, you can continue your studies on a Master’s level. A university Master’s degree can be completed in about 2 years of full-time studies. Master’s studies are usually multidisciplinary, i.e., based on cooperation between different fields of study within the university but also with other universities. You can apply to Master’s studies either through a joint application or through a separate application. 

You are eligible to apply for Master’s studies if you have:

For more information, please click here.