Chemistry and bioeconomy
The chemistry and bioeconomy research groups actively support companies and partners in research, development and innovation activities. Our research groups have extensive expertise in analytics, processes and technologies.
Our RDI activities focus on the following research areas:
- chemical processes and methods
- separation technologies
- manufacturing technologies for plastic products
- low-carbon energy production methods
- energy and material efficiency
We have a versatile research environment at our disposal. The laboratory infrastructure in Kokkola consists of up-to-date research and analysis laboratories, as well as a chemical test plant suitable for companies’ product development processes. We also have pilot equipment suitable for the manufacture of plastic products. The team has strong international networks. Several national and international research and development projects are under way with partners to support the region’s competence and development.
More about our work
The cross-cutting theme of the chemistry and bioeconomy research groups is promoting the circular economy:
- Identification and analysis of applications for energy and material side streams
- Knowledge of recycling methods
- Creating value chains and industrial symbioses
- Sustainability measurements and indicators
- Life cycle assessment and sustainability assessment
Students have the opportunity to gain valuable work experience in the projects of the chemistry and bioeconomy team and complete their thesis under skilled guidance. In practice, students in the field can familiarise themselves with laboratory activities of the focus area, and versatile research and development work that supports future working life.
Find us on LinkedIn
Our team has a Linkedin page where we tell you about current issues and events in our projects. Welcome to follow!
In addition, our experts participate in the implementation of analytics and testing services, as well as piloting aimed at companies and partners:
- Chemical analytics
- Analysis and testing of materials
- Development of analytical methods
- Testing of production methods
- Product development, process scaling
Our research groups
Our development environments
Chemplant – Chemical test plant
Chemplant is an experimental chemical plant that provides companies with a unique framework for demanding research and development.Read more
PlastLab – Material development and 3D printing
Centria has extensive expertise in plastic and composite materials, which extends from the selection and manufacturing of materials to the 3D printing of products.Read more